MSHDA – COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) Grant/Program
CERA is a program that can provide rental and utility assistance for eligible renter households so that they can retain their housing; overcome housing instability.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
CERA can serve renter households that have incomes less than 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) for their county of Residence and who meet the following conditions:
- Individual(s) in the household has qualified for unemployment benefits or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or has experienced other financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the coronavirus outbreak; and
- Individual(s) in the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability evidenced by a past due utility or rent notice.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE?
- Households that have incomes above 80% of Area Median Income.
- Households that cannot show a “COVID-19 hardship” (outlined above) or risk of homelessness or housing instability.
- Households that are homeowners, land contract holders or those that live in commercial properties.
- Renter households that are not behind on either rent or utility bills.
ELIGIBLE UNIT TYPES:
- Subsidizes (Vouchers and PHA Complexes)
- Tenant Portions ONLY
- Lot Rent
- This includes those who own the trailer but rent the lot
- Rental Units
NON-ELIGIBLE UNIT TYPES:
- Lease to Own
- Land Contracts
*If you are in one of these (Lease to Own, Land Contract, Mortgage) units, we have other programs to assist. Call us at (906)632-3363 and ask for someone in Housing!*
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE CERA CAN FINANCIALLY ASSIST WITH:
- Rental Assistance
- In some situations, assistance with 3 months of forward rent
- Utility Assistance (including: water/sewage, natural gas, electric, deliverable fuels)
- Internet Stipend ($300.00)
- Mediation Assistance/Costs
- Case Management
- Budgeting Assistance
- Eviction Prevention Material
- Referrals to Legal Aid & Mediation Services
COVID Hardship Examples/Backup:
|Type of COVID Hardship||Best Documents to Show Proof||Alternate Documents to Show Proof|
|A member of my household qualified for unemployment after March 13, 2020||Unemployment Monetary Determination Letter OR screen shots from unemployment website showing payments and person’s name||Signed letter from applicant stating the time period they received unemployment benefits|
|A member of my household has had a 10% reduction in income after March 13, 2020||Signed letter from applicant outlining your original hours and pay rate and reduced hours and pay rate during the COVID outbreak|
|A member of my household has incurred significant costs (over $500) after March 13, 2020||Signed letter from applicant stating what type and amounts of increased expenses the household incurred during the COVID outbreak|
|A member of my household experienced other financial hardship (over $500) after March 13, 2020|
Legal Aid’s COVID Hardship Letter Template: https://lawhelpinteractive.org/Interview/GenerateInterview/7852/engine
HOW TO APPLY: (PAPER APPS, WEBSITE, MSHDA PORTAL, EMAIL, FAX, ETC.)
Chippewa Luce Mackinac Community Action Agency has paper applications available for pickup and mailing. CERA packets/Apps can be picked up at:
|Chippewa County: Applications Available for Pickup, Drop off, Faxing, Mailing, Email, etc.||Avery Square Atrium 510 Ashmun St. Sault Ste Marie MI 49783 *Enter thru the main doors off Ashmun St. (this entrance). Go thru the double doors. To your right you will see hanging wall folders with all of our applications and a drop box (return your apps here). Look for CERA on the folders. These apps are in manila envelops as there is a Landlord and Tenant App.* Chippewa Luce Mackinac Community Action Agency 524 Ashmun St. Sault Ste Marie MI 49783 *You MUST call us prior to stopping by. Our office is CLOSED to the PUBLIC* P: (906)632-3363 F: (906)632-4255 Email: email@example.com|
|Mackinac County: Applications Available for Pickup, Drop off, Faxing, Mailing, Email, etc.||Chippewa Luce Mackinac Community Action Agency 368 Reagon St. Ignace, MI 49781 P: (906)643-8595 F: (906)643-8866 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Luce County: Applications Available for Pickup, Drop off, Faxing, Mailing, Email, etc.||Chippewa Luce Mackinac Community Action Agency 207 Newberry Ave Newberry, MI 49868 P: (906)293-5621 F: (906)293-3406 Email: email@example.com|
MSHDA CERA Online Application Portal Website: Michigan.gov/CERA
CLMCAA Agency Online Application: located at clmcaa.org. To the right you will see “Housing Applications” click this to be taken to a page with all applications. You will need to complete BOTH the Tenant & Landlord Application.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact CLMCAA @ (906)632-336 and ask for someone in Housing Department.